Skip to main content

Article Summary Draft 1 - Green Asphalt

In the article, "Sustainability", Missouri Asphalt Pavement Association (2013) discusses the 'green' effects of asphalt. Not only is asphalt considered 'green' for being non-disposable and reusable regardless of its age, but also because it allows other waste products to be involved in the process. The development of Recycled Asphalt Pavement (RAP) is revolutionary in asphalt paving, as it uses cultivated old asphalt to be incorporated into new asphalt using heat. Lesser pristine resources are used, thus reduces spending and fuel usage. This benefits both contractors and the environment. Additionally, innovations such as Warm Mix Asphalt (WMA) and porous pavements are beneficial to the environment. Halved temperature emissions and reduced carbon footprints are resultant of WMA's hybrid production. Porous pavements on the other hand allow rainwater drainage into recharge beds for soil absorption and replenishes aquifers rather than forcing water into sewers.


Reference:

Missouri Asphalt Pavement Association. (2013, May 23). Sustainability. https://moasphalt.org/why-asphalt/green-asphalt/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Formal Letter (Descriptive Reflection)

Subject: Self-Introduction Dear Professor Blackstone, My name is A’lim, and I am a student from your Effective Communication class – T5. I have sent this introductory letter in hopes that it can familiarize you with my background. I graduated from Temasek Polytechnic with a Diploma in Integrated Facility Management specializing in the Hospitality cluster. My interest in pursuing engineering studies began back in my secondary school days while being on a school trip to Petrosains , a science and technology museum located within the Petronas Twin Towers in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Ever since then, my fascination for engineering grew and I tried my best to be informed on every innovation that relates to it. Despite scoring average results in polytechnic, I joined this SIT program to prove to myself that I am capable of much more and learn the essential skills to be a great engineer in the future. I believe that one of my strengths is the willingness to learn. When a certain knowledge

The Importance of Communication Skills for Engineers - (Task 3)

  ‘Developing excellent communication skills is absolutely essential to effective leadership. The leader must be able to share knowledge and ideas to transmit a sense of urgency and enthusiasm to others. If a leader can’t get a message across clearly and motivate others to act on it, then having a message doesn’t even matter.'   – Gilbert Amelio, former President and CEO of National Semiconductor Corp. According to Gilbert Amelio, a necessary trait that good leaders must possess is the ability to communicate well with others. Such a trait allows them to inspire people to be more initiative when an opportunity is presented towards them. These leaders can convince others to be onboard with their ideas and encourage them to voice out their own innovations just by having a sense of passion and eagerness to act on it. Do you think Elon Musk would have achieve success in Tesla and the SpaceX program had he not develop excellent communication skills?

Critical Reflection

Effective Communication is an important module to learn as it has given me the opportunity to express my ideas and interests while improving my skillset in communicating, writing, and presenting. At the start of this module, I had set two goals that I hoped to achieve by week 13 of the first trimester. These two goals were acquiring skills to produce quality writing and improving as a presenter. And now that the class has finally reached the end of week 13, I’m glad to say that I have achieved significant progress for both of my goals. During each session, I was able to utilize the given time to practice my verbal communication, trying to make every pronunciation as crystal as possible, and ensuring that I can speak each sentence smoothly. The presentation assignments were the ones that tested my mettle, it was always nerve-racking, but I had to remind myself that it is the best opportunity to gauge my abilities and to reflect on myself afterward. I have come to understand that every