Skip to main content

Critical Reflection

Effective Communication is an important module to learn as it has given me the opportunity to express my ideas and interests while improving my skillset in communicating, writing, and presenting. At the start of this module, I had set two goals that I hoped to achieve by week 13 of the first trimester. These two goals were acquiring skills to produce quality writing and improving as a presenter. And now that the class has finally reached the end of week 13, I’m glad to say that I have achieved significant progress for both of my goals.

During each session, I was able to utilize the given time to practice my verbal communication, trying to make every pronunciation as crystal as possible, and ensuring that I can speak each sentence smoothly. The presentation assignments were the ones that tested my mettle, it was always nerve-racking, but I had to remind myself that it is the best opportunity to gauge my abilities and to reflect on myself afterward. I have come to understand that every presentation must end with the audience being able to extract critical key points that you as the presenter want them to know.

Furthermore, it was necessary for the class to develop critical thinking skills throughout the module as it allows us to evaluate a problem and organize a solution effectively. Having these skills at our disposal made completing the assignments such as reader’s response and technical report much more manageable.

The key aspect of learning this module was being able to apply everything that we have learned to the project learning. I think the highlight of my team’s project was to compose a technical report based on our proposed idea. As one of my goals was to produce quality writing, the technical report was the best platform for me to conquer that challenge. Another challenge that I had to conquer, was to mediate creative differences between my groupmates and me so that we can have a clear objective of the final result.

Throughout the writing process, my group has shown their enthusiasm by conducting the necessary research that was relevant to the project. Each of us was very vocal in deciding the direction of the report, and what our desired outcome should be. Even though we had encountered issues in finding strong supportive arguments, we took the initiative to contact relevant parties to acquire information that is commonly not available on public domains.

With the frequent consultation sessions we had with the professor and our fellow classmates, we were able to identify areas of improvement that we might have overlooked. Ultimately, these sessions helped us to refine the final draft of our report.

As once said by the Nigerian writer Bamigboye Olurotimi, “The road may be rough, the journey may be tough and the experience may be bitter, but they are stepping stones to our future thrones”, I am certain that the challenges that I have experienced in this module have benefitted me. This module has provided me the necessary set of skills to communicate with purpose, to be critical in my thoughts, to be biased and unbiased objectively. I have understood the need to assess myself and my work, as it is undoubtedly essential in the advancement of my professional career.

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Formal Letter (Descriptive Reflection)

Subject: Self-Introduction Dear Professor Blackstone, My name is A’lim, and I am a student from your Effective Communication class – T5. I have sent this introductory letter in hopes that it can familiarize you with my background. I graduated from Temasek Polytechnic with a Diploma in Integrated Facility Management specializing in the Hospitality cluster. My interest in pursuing engineering studies began back in my secondary school days while being on a school trip to Petrosains , a science and technology museum located within the Petronas Twin Towers in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Ever since then, my fascination for engineering grew and I tried my best to be informed on every innovation that relates to it. Despite scoring average results in polytechnic, I joined this SIT program to prove to myself that I am capable of much more and learn the essential skills to be a great engineer in the future. I believe that one of my strengths is the willingness to learn. When a certain knowledge

The Importance of Communication Skills for Engineers - (Task 3)

  ‘Developing excellent communication skills is absolutely essential to effective leadership. The leader must be able to share knowledge and ideas to transmit a sense of urgency and enthusiasm to others. If a leader can’t get a message across clearly and motivate others to act on it, then having a message doesn’t even matter.'   – Gilbert Amelio, former President and CEO of National Semiconductor Corp. According to Gilbert Amelio, a necessary trait that good leaders must possess is the ability to communicate well with others. Such a trait allows them to inspire people to be more initiative when an opportunity is presented towards them. These leaders can convince others to be onboard with their ideas and encourage them to voice out their own innovations just by having a sense of passion and eagerness to act on it. Do you think Elon Musk would have achieve success in Tesla and the SpaceX program had he not develop excellent communication skills?